All accidents involving an MIT-owned vehicle must be reported to the Office of Insurance here. Once the incident has been submitted a member of the Insurance Office will be in touch.  We will need the following information:

  • Date and location of accident; make/model/year of vehicle
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and registration number
  • MIT driver, contact name, and number
  • Other driver/owner name, insurance information, address and phone number (if applicable)
  • Extent of damage to vehicle(s), being as specific as possible as to the location of damage
  • Identification of any Injuries
  • Brief description and diagram of accident including photographs (if possible)

Please be sure to obtain a copy of the police report if police are on the scene.

Upon notification and receipt of a claim, an investigation will be performed. If a department does not have a preferred auto shop, the Insurance Office requests that you provide two comparative estimates. If there is a possibility of a total loss to the vehicle, the Insurance Office may hire an outside party to complete an appraisal.

Physical damage to an MIT vehicle, due to a covered peril other than collision must also be reported if the damage warrants repair and reimbursement is sought.  It is best to include two estimates of repairs for physical damage claims, along with the completed accident report.

An individual department will be responsible for the first $1,500 of physical damage loss to a vehicle. Any approved costs above $1,500 will be reimbursed by the Office of Insurance. If the MIT party is not at fault for the accident, the Office of Insurance will waive the $1500 deductible. *Please note the deductible increased from $1,000 to $1,500 as of 9/1/22.

Massachusetts (MA) law requires that a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) Accident Report form be filed with the MA RMV when the damage to any one vehicle or property is over $1,000, or if there is an injury to any person. A copy of this should be sent to the Office of Insurance.

Rental Vehicles
For an accident involving a rental vehicle while on MIT-related business, please refer to the Automobile Rental section. 

For more information on Automobile claims, please contact Sarah Brown at 617-324-5031.