The information provided to the Property Office should include: (1) make; (2) model; (3) year; (4) use of vehicle; and (5) copy of the vehicle transfer agreement (if applicable). For the sale, disposal, or donation of an MIT vehicle, please obtain the title from the Property Office (Mike McCarthy, email@example.com).
The original title for a newly purchased vehicle, including new “used” vehicles, should be submitted to the Property Office.
Each DLC is responsible for the registration of its own vehicles. Department Heads, AOs, or other authorized MIT staff may sign the registration application. Applications should reflect MIT, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building NE18-901 as the vehicle owner and address. Vehicle registration applications (new – RMV-1; renewals – RMV-3) may be obtained from the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). Registration forms are not currently available online, but may be available from the RMV fax service (1-866-627-7768). The registration application needs to be completed, stamped by MIT’s insurance broker, and submitted (or hand delivered) with the appropriate fee to the RMV. Refer to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles for general information regarding procedures, hours of operation, and locations.
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
470 Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02210
Attn: Eileen Flaherty
Attn: Cassie Raphel
For time sensitive registrations drivers can go to AJG to get their application stamped. Please contact Eileen or Cassie to set up a time.
Checks must accompany any new or renewal applications that are mailed to AJG, with instructions to forward to the RMV. (No credit cards can be used to renew registration.) If the proper payment is not forwarded to AJG, they will return the stamped registration form for the department’s submittal.
If you lose your registration, you can apply for a duplicate with the RMV. The cost is $25.00.
What application should you complete?
1. RMV-1: Registration and Title – View Form
- Registration only
- Registration transfer
- Title only
This is a two-page document (see RMV-1). Both pages must be completed in full, stamped by your insurance company or agent (Arthur J. Gallagher), and submitted with all proper documents to the RMV branch office for processing. When registering a vehicle, an original title must accompany the completed RMV-1 (original).
The RMV-1 will be rejected by the RMV for the following reasons:
- If the form is not signed in the appropriate places
- If the form does not have an insurance stamp
- If the title is not an original (no copies allowed)
- If the RMV-1 is not an original (no copies allowed)
2. RMV-3: Use this form if you need to swap to a different plate, amend information on your registration, or renew your registration. (Do not use the RMV-3 form if there is a change in ownership.) View Form
- RMV Fees – View Fees
- Please be advised that the busiest months at the RMV are October, November, and December. Processing will take longer during these months, so please plan accordingly.
- The RMV no longer takes credit cards when renewing registrations at a branch office.
- Once you receive your renewal cards, forward them along with a check to AJG to avoid late processing.
- For tracking purposes, anyone purchasing a vehicle from a dealer or registering a car for MIT via The Drive program should request that the dealer include the department name and contact name on the faxed slip that they send to Arthur J. Gallagher.
Transferring vehicles between departments:
Notify the Insurance Office of the vehicle being transferred and the department that will now be responsible for the vehicle. Provide the contact name for the new department