Evidence of Insurance Required for Visa Applications
The MIT Insurance Office works with the MIT Health Plans Office when there is a request to provide confirmation of health insurance and/or medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. To prevent delays, all MIT travelers should request visa coverage letters as early as possible before traveling.
Traditional Health Plan/Student Extended Insurance/Affiliate Health Plan
- Faculty, staff, to obtain a visa coverage letter that confirms health coverage, please submit Coverage Letter Request Form here. For proof of medical evacuation and repatriation please contact Sarah Brown.
- Students on business travel please contact Sarah Brown
- Faculty, staff, and non-U.S. citizen students on leisure travel may also submit Coverage Letter Request Form for visa purposes.
MIT Choice Plan or Blue Care Elect PPO
- Faculty and staff: Obtain a visa coverage letter from the Benefits Office (email@example.com). Evidence of health insurance, medical evacuation, and repatriation coverage is provided for both business and leisure travel.
- If the visa application requires a coverage letter that must come from an “insurer,” please request one from Sarah Brown in the Insurance Office.
- MIT affiliates: A letter from the Benefits office (firstname.lastname@example.org) will confirm health coverage and medical evacuation coverage. Repatriation coverage is only provided to affiliates when traveling on MIT-related business.
Non-MIT Health Coverage
Proof of Medical Coverage
- Faculty, staff, students, or affiliates: Must seek a letter of medical coverage from their own health insurer.
Proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage
- Faculty and staff: For confirmation of coverage for either business or leisure travel, please contact Sarah Brown in the Insurance Office.
- Students and affiliates: For confirmation of coverage for business travel, please contact Sarah Brown in the Insurance Office. (Leisure travel is not provided.)
- If the application states “letter from insurer,” please contact the Insurance Office (Sarah Brown).
For more information, please contact Sarah Brown at 617-324-5031 or email@example.com.